Wednesday, June 14, 2006

TT 16 - Someone Makes Eleanor Jump


The day is green and mossy and soft. Apples and pears dangle plumply over Tendringhoe's time-worn garden walls, and omeone is burning leaves in their garden. Eleanor Briding is in her Victorian greenhouse. The green algae-like film on the glass panels of the roof casts a slightly aqeous light over her as she layers up in wooden crates the pears that were blown from the tree in last night's storm. She stops to stare in sarcastic disbelief at the radio.
"What? 1995? I wouldn't call that recent research!" She is so busy bollocking Melvyn Bragg that she doesn't see the tall, dark-haired man who stands in the doorway. She turns with a jump when he lets out a loud laugh.
"Oh my God, you made me jump!"
He laughs again.
"Gabriel Lamb!" Now she laughs. "Long time no see."
He comes into the greenhouse and gives her a hug. "Still taking on the world then Elly?"
"Oh, I always shout at the radio." She tucks her hair behind her ears and wipes her hands on her jeans. "But how are you?"
"Oh I don't know. How does one know, really?" He shrugs and puts his hands in his pockets. He still has that slightly nocturnal pallour, Eleanor notices, as though he's been up all night smoking roll-ups and reading Camus.

Eleanor wrinkles her brow. "Well, are you OK, healthwise?"
"Yup."
"Plenty of work?"
"Yup."
"Still enjoying acting, on the whole?"
"Yup."
"Well I think that counts as 'fine' in most people's books."
"You're right - I'm fine. You see, you always sort me out." He smiles and brushes his thick floppy fringe back from his forehead.
"So, how long are you here for?" Eleanor looks away and fusses with the crate of fruit.
"Three months."
"Three months!" She looks back in surprise. "How come!"
"I'm taking Oyster Cottage for the winter. I've decided to take a break. Do some writing."
"Oh. Well. It'll be nice to have you around." Eleanor says, although she's slightly taken aback. Three months is a long time to have Gabriel Lamb just around the corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»